Parts of the Body in Swahili

by Julius Muange on Feb 22, 2015

Body-Mwili

Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):

Body (Mwili )

Body Part Singular Plural
Head Kichwa Vichwa
Hair Nywele Nywele
Ear Sikio Masikio
Face Uso Nyuso
Nose Pua Mapua
Neck Shingo Mashingo
Chest Kifua Vifua
Stomach Tumbo Matumbo
Leg Mguu Miguu
Knee Goti Magoti
Eye Jicho Macho
Mouth Kinywa Vinywa
Shoulder Bega Mabega
Arm Mkono Mikono
Hand Kiganja Viganja
Finger Kidole Vidole
Foot Kiganja Viganja
Toe Kidole Vidole
Lip Mdomo Midomo
Gum Ufizi Fizi
Tongue Ulimi Ndimi
Tooth Jino Meno

The following are some sentences explaining the function of the different body parts.

Kazi ya macho ni kuona.

The work of the eyes is to see.

Kazi ya meno ni kuuma na kutafuna.

The work of the teeth is to bite and chew.

Kazi ya pua ni kunusa na kupumua.

The work of the nose is to smell and to breathe.

Kazi ya masikio ni kusikia.

The work of the ears is to hear.

Kazi ya ulimi ni kuonja na kusema.

The work of the tongue is to taste and to speak.

Kazi ya ufizi ni kushika meno.

The work of the gums is to hold the teeth.

Kazi ya mikono ni kushika vitu na kufanya kazi.

The work of the hands is to hold things and to do work.

Kazi ya miguu ni kutembea na kukimbia.

The work of the legs is to walk and to run.

Kazi ya tumbo ni kushika chakula na kusaidia chakula kuingia mwilini.

The work of the stomach is to hold the food and then digest it.

Quiz

2 Responses

  1. Mpasua Msonobari says:

    Spoken Swahili is a wonderful website not only for a foreigner who wants to learn Swahili but also for a local, native speaker of the Swahili language who wants to master the little tit bits of the Swahili language which are normally ignored not until your 8 year old outspoken daughter asks you in fluent Swahili, \”Hivi mama tofauti ya Kinywa na Mdomo ni nini?\”

    Or maybe as an English to Swahili translator I meet a sentence like this which needs to be translated into Swahili, \”Man still relies on his legs and feet to walk and hands and arm to climb trees.\” I have personally done a research on this sentence among the native Swahili speakers in my 19 years of offering Swahili translation services. Only 12% can get this sentence correct. The rest of the 88% never finish the translation. I dare you to try and you will get what I mean.

    But then through Spoken Swahili all this is addressed and it becomes an eye opener to the ones who have the faith and the substance to see. Great work guys and keep up the good work. Lets all keep in touch. Check out my website at http://www.mpasuamsonobari.com to have a feel of what it means to live and love the Swahili language.

    November 3rd, 2016 at 4:39 AM
  2. Zanele Kawalya-Kagwa says:

    Good. Asante

    January 16th, 2017 at 12:04 AM

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Subscribe to our mailing list

  • Get FREE weekly tips on speaking swahili.
  • Get FREE mini lessons in your email.
  • Receive special offers and discounts on courses.
  • You can unsubscribe at anytime.
  • We don't share your information with any third party. Promise.